National Library Week • April 11-17


National Library Week • April 11-17, 2010

This week I must recognize how grateful I am to my community library.  My family and I are there twice a week for Story Time.  We usually check out roughly 20 books per week.  Many of these books help my family celebrate the author's birthdays.  Without the library I wouldn't be able to write this blog and share many of my ideas. I just wouldn't have access to the variety of books needed to fully appreciate the authors I write about.  

My goal here at Happy Birthday Author is to provide a resource to parents, teachers, and homeschooling families.  There were many times that I walked into the library and I didn't know where to start.  All of the shelves and sections were overwhelming.  There were times that I wanted to try new books, but I just didn't know which books or authors to choose.  I felt confused.

Following the pattern of author birthdays provides me many ideas for books to look for at the library. Thus far, I have covered over 30 children's authors on their birthdays on this blog.  This format has exposed my family to a large variety of books - poetry by Jack Pretlutsky and Shel Silverstein, multicultural literature from Faith Ringgold and Ezra Jack Keats, wonderful illustrators like Lois Ehlert and Graeme Base, and award winning writers like Kate DiCamillo and Beverly Cleary.  I have come to have a better knowledge of what is available at my library by exposing myself and my family to many different authors.

Recently, I have started to provide a simple printable sheet that I have unimaginatively called a "Library Checklist".  The idea is to take the checklist to the library to give you a few ideas for books to checkout for your family.  Also, on the printable are a few activities, including a place to have children write about their favorite book from the week, and draw their favorite scene.  I hope you find the Library Checklists a helpful addition to the Happy Birthday Author weekly posts.  Here is a list of the available checklists:

1. Doreen Cronin - Issue 1
2. Sandra Boynton - Issue 2
3. Graeme Base - Issue 3
4. David A. Adler - Issue 4
5. Beverly Cleary - Issue 5

I hope you have an opportunity to visit your local library this week.  While you are there check out some of the programs that are offered.  The library staff works very hard to offer lots free educational programs.  Additionally, they are very enthusiastic to provide assistance on finding other books for your family.  Hooray for libraries and our librarians!

Links:







Comments

  1. hi from the ubp - this is a very interesting concept for a blog. now that my daughter is getting older, all my old favorites are pertinent again - i can't wait till she reads the giver and the bridge to terabithia!

    and beverly cleary is turning 94?? wow how time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea it was National Library week, I need to take the kids for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blog Party! I am so happy to be able to follow you. I was looking for a Father's site as I love their perspective and it is generally a great sight to promote literacy; and who does not love birthdays?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to everyone that has stopped by for the Ultimate Blog Party. I have enjoyed all the encouraging and positive comments about this blog. I hope you become regular readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping in from UBP 2010!!! Joined your following. Like the clean user friendly type of blog, and interesting to read! Thanks, @madly59

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea for a blog. I came across your blog thur the Ultimate Blog Party. I really like. I love the Library.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment