Happy Birthday Melissa Ivey-Staehli - April 17

Happy Birthday Melissa Ivey-Staehli - April 17

My two oldest children and I attended Ohio Author Day and Book Fair at the Hudson Library and Historical Society this past weekend. In the morning we listened to five children's authors discuss writing and publishing children's books.  I was proud of my kiddos for behaving so well during the panel discussion that I treated them to ice cream for lunch!  My daughter insisted that we return after lunch for the author fair.

The last author we met at the fair was Melissa Ivey-Staehli.  I picked up and read her book, I Love You to the Moon.  I immediately felt a connection to the book.  I knew my almost two-year-old son would love the colorful illustrations and the rhyming text.  Then, I said to Melissa, "I run this blog, Happy Birthday Author.....I would love to celebrate your birthday."  She said, "My birthday is in a few days on April 17th."  I was silent for a few moments, processed the possibility, and realized that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share her book.  I said, "I think I can put something together for your birthday.  Do you have a special birthday memory or story you could share?"  She said, "I don't have a birthday story to share, but I do have a story about the greatest GIFT I ever received."

Here is her story:

The most amazing GIFT I ever received was my son, Caleb Andrew!  He is the light of my life and the joy of my heart.  I thank the Lord every day for blessing me with a precious son to love.


My husband and I have been married for 18 years now, but for the first 13 years we were not successful in getting pregnant.  Yes, it was very disappointing especially when everyone around me was getting pregnant.  The disappointment started to turn to frustration which I was not liking at all.  So, at that point in my life I knew I had to lay it all at the Lord's feet.  Once I laid my cares down at the foot of the cross, in that moment, I knew in my heart that God was not going to forsake my dream of being a mother.


In 2005, my husband and I started checking into foreign adoption, but we didn't tell anyone yet.  We truly thought we would be adopting a baby from Korea.  Unbeknownst to us...the Lord had other plans! We had finished all of the piles of paperwork, interviews and such needed for adoption.  Now, we just had to save up the final (large) amount of money needed for the Korean adoption -- which we knew would take a while.  Well, towards the end of June 2006 we received a phone call about a domestic adoption.  Mind you, we were not on any list here in America to adopt!  God, being the BIG God he is, orchestrated the entire miracle of Caleb all on His own.  From the time we received that amazing phone call - around June 22, 2006 - and the day Caleb was born was just 12 days! That's crazy and unheard of! But God did it! He gave me and my husband the greatest gift of our lives!


God answered my hearts cry and I did not miss one moment with my baby boy! What an honor it was to name my son, Caleb and have the birth mother really like it.  I saw his sweet face when he took his first breath.  I saw his feet being printed on a card for me and my husband to take home.  The birth mother handed Caleb to me to hold and to love.  At that moment...my heart was overflowing with such love for this precious baby boy that the tears began to roll down my face.  I sat down in the rocking chair at the hospital and gave him his first bottle.  I got to change his first diaper.  I was thrilled beyond words that God had answered my prayer for a baby.  He allowed me to experience everything a new mommy would experience, and for that I am forever grateful.


The love I have for my son, Caleb is what inspires me to write children's books.  I Love You to the Moon came straight from my heart. It started out as a little rhyme that I would say to Caleb before bedtime, and suddenly it became the poetic lullaby that it is now. It blessed both Caleb and I so much that I realized I wanted to share it with others in hopes that it would bless them as well.


Every child is a gift from God, no matter how they come into a family.

Thank you Melissa for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading your book with all of my children.  My oldest son said, "I think this is a good book for me to read."  He read the "I love yous" throughout the book! My oldest daughter took a turn reading it to everyone.  My youngest son loved the illustrations of the moon, boat, deer and bee.  My wife even came up with an activity for her and I to do for our children.

We found a 8" x 10" frame, scrap book paper with stars, and 2" x 3" photos of each of our children.
She traced the backing of the photo frame on the scrap book paper with a pencil and cut it to size. 
She printed a title for her collage, "I Love You because..." 
Then, she arranged and glued a picture of each of our children on the paper.
Reassembled the frame.
She left space in the middle to write a message with a dry-erase marker on the glass.  She drew a heart around the child that the message was intended for -- "I love you because you helped your brother on the computer." 
We put the frame in our kitchen on a shelf.  We intend to write a message each day to point out something positive that one of our children has done.


Melissa, we hope you have a wonderful birthday! I am so happy that my family was able to meet you this past weekend.  We wish you good luck with this book and your upcoming book, Charlie's Gingerbread House.
Melissa Ivey--Staehli's books is available on Amazon.com:

 

Links:
1. I Love You to the Moon Website
2. Melissa Ivey-Stehli's Blog
3. Read her articles at Christian Children's Authors
4. Child's Birth Inspires Book About Unbounded Love


I Love You to the Moon Trailer from Jared Staehli on Vimeo.

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday, Melissa! I really enjoyed hearing your story of getting your son - how wonderful! Eric, thanks for sharing this wonderful activity - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for this idea. My wife put the whole thing together! I am so thankful for her support of my blogging efforts.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Susanna! I am glad you enjoyed my story. Have a great day ~ I loved the activity too. I am going to do that with Caleb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed the activity! My daughter was very excited to see it this morning.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Melissa! I loved reading more about your adoption story. Your book is such a fun read for children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited when my son wanted to read the book last night before bed. He hasn't wanted to so that for a long time. So cool!

      Delete
  4. Melissa, thanks for sharing your heart-felt story. We too struggled for four years before we had our oldest son. We had explored adoption too. Eric, thanks for introducing me to Melissa's book. I am eager to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to thank Melissa again for sharing too. Such a wonderful story. I hope you can check out the book!

      Delete
  5. A very happy birthday to you! (To you)Thank you for sharing your story. My husband and I have been married since 1995 and have longed for kids of our own. I have a daycare in our home to help appease that desire. We're hoping to adopt SOON. We've been on this adoption journey 3 1/2--4 years now. Trying to wait and be patient on God's timing, but it's hard! Here's our adoption websites. Please help us get the word out:
    www.adoptionnetwork.com/waitingfamilies/show.html/6934/photos
    (Watch our YouTube video)

    www.theadoptionfoundation.com/adoption-unplanned-pregnancy-waiting-families-profile.html?id=7150

    www.courageouschoice.com/album.php?id=6534

    www.adoptionspacebook.com/view_photos.html?id=7150

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one of your most beautiful blog posts yet and I'm posting your link on my FB fan page as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Sandra. I appreciate that you shared this one with your followers.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday! This was a beautiful blog post and story. It touched my heart. I have 6 beautiful children and all are adopted. We were married for 6 years before I finally got my little girl at 2 days old. Then 8 years later a special needs sibling group of 3, and then several years later two more kids! We are very blessed. I must add your book to my library for my 9 grandkids! God is truly amazing. I also write and my new book Alexander Graham Cracker Goes to the Moon has an official release date of July 10, 2012. Thank you for sharing with all of us. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you stopped by the blog! I wish you good luck with your new book!

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! What a lovely post! All of it! Thank you for bringing Melissa to us! :)

    My beautiful, bright-eyed, red-headed middle boy always says, "Mommy I love you to the moon and back to the moon and back, 1 million times..." So sweet!

    Your wife's craft idea was adorable. I might have to use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie! I will let my wife know that you loved her craft. The kids have been checking every morning to see who gets a message!

      Delete
  9. Dear,
    Susanna, Kristen, Natalie, LaNell, Sandra, & Stacey...Thank you for leaving such wonderful feedback about my story. I am not sure if you live in the Akron area, but if you do and are able, I will be signing my book tomorrow at Barnes & Noble in Fairalwn from 11:30-2:00. I'd love to meet you! Blessings to all of you. Melissa ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful story, Melissa. I had no idea about this.

    Hope you had a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love this idea! What a great way to provide more positive reinforcement in the home and focus on what kids do that's good.

    Gonna have to tuck this into my idea file.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment