Happy Birthday, Kate McMullan - January 16

Happy Birthday, Kate McMullan - January 16

Is your family or classroom of young students as excited as we are for Kate and Jim McMullan's next book, I'm Smart!?

Every January since 2010, my family has baked a birthday cake for Kate McMullan based on a picture book from her I'm...Machines at Work series. This year, with the new book not arriving until June and all the other books from the series already featured in birthday celebrations, we decided to revisit I Stink, the book which started our family on a journey to celebrating over 300 author and illustrator birthdays.
CLICK HERE to pre-order the book!
Our first I Stink cake was baked and decorated in 2010. I found a video, that I didn't know existed, of my oldest two children reciting the ABCs of garbage from I Stink. In the background I am putting the finishing touches on the cake.


Now in 2017, I am blessed to have all four of my children still excited about this book. It made me happy to watch their teamwork (and occasional disagreement) as they baked and decorated I Stink Cake 2.0!
We read I Stink before we started baking.
(I wonder how many times I have read this book to them?)
Everyone took turns adding ingredients to the mixing bowl to make the cake batter.
I can't believe this is the little guy from the video above.
My oldest daughter loves watching Cake Boss on TLC. All those episodes she has watched paid off as she knew exactly what to do.
After the cake was baked she made the frosting. She used a cake recipe and a frosting recipe from the Cake Boss himself.
I helped only a little. I drew the garbage truck on the cake with a toothpick which helped guide my son as he cut. (Thankfully, he still has his 10 fingers!)
She said, "Dad, we need a crumb coat." 
I said, "I don't know what a crumb coat is. But, OK."
Thumbs up for the tan-colored frosting.
My oldest daughter taught all her siblings how add frosting to the cake.
Once again, all those Cake Boss episodes helped.
Next, we needed black and gray frosting. Black food coloring exploded all over my son's hands so I took over to prevent another huge mess.
The little ones made sure the frosting tasted good!
They looked at the photo from 2010 and said, "Our cake will look better than that, Dad."
She added white frosting for the eyes. 
And black frosting for all the details.
My youngest son brought the cake to life by adding the eyes.
Oreo cookie wheels were added last. This was the second set of Oreos because my youngest daughter licked the frosting off the first set of cookies!
I Stink Cake 2.0!
Happy Birthday, Kate McMullan!
Did you know that I Stink and I'm Dirty! is now an animated TV show for kids? Check out The Stinky and Dirty Show on Amazon Video!  Watch the first show here:


A history of our I'm...Machines at Work cakes:


Links:
2. Follow Kate McMullan on Twitter
3. Other Happy Birthday Kate McMullan Posts - Happy Birthday Author
5. Text Interview - Library Media Connection (2012)
6. Audio Interview - Just One More Book (2007)
7. Just One More Book (2006) Podcast about Nutcracker Noel by Kate and Jim McMullan
10. I'm Fast Book Trailer  -YouTube
11. Buy Kate McMullan Merchandise - CafePress
12. Kate and Jim McMullan at SouthHampton Arts 2013 - YouTube
13. Stinky and Dirty TV show - Amazon
14. I'm Brave Trailer - YouTube
15. Behind the Scenes at the Stinky and Dirty Show - Animation World Network

Comments