A New Dr. Seuss Birthday Activity - ONE FISH TWO FISH RED FISH BLUE FISH

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss - March 2

Are you looking for a new way to celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday on March 2nd? Our latest idea was inspired by Dr. Seuss's One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.

Near the back of One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish there is a rhyme:

At our house
we play out back.
We play a game
called Ring the Gack.

Would you like to play this game?
Come down!
We have the only
Gack in town.

With this rhyme Dr. Seuss illustrated a boy and a girl tossing colored rings onto the antlers of a Gack. It looked like loads of fun!
We started with a large piece of cardboard.
Then, I traced the Gack onto a piece of transparency film.
I used an overhead projector to project the image onto the cardboard.
Next, I traced the image with a black Sharpie.
I cut the image out of the cardboard with an x-acto knife.
I left a flap on the bottom. This allowed me to add blocks to the back to stabilize the Gack.
I taped a paint stir stick to the neck to make it more sturdy. Then, I taped two clear plastic pieces to stabilize the antlers. 
We cut out a few rings from the scraps of cardboard. My daughter checked to if they would fit on the antlers.
The Gack was ready to paint, but I forget to take pictures of the painting process. I mixed yellow and white acrylic paint for the Gack. Then, a little green for the grass. A black Sharpie was used after the paint dried to add the details.
Later, when my boys were home from school, we cut out more rings.
They colored them red, yellow, and blue just like the book. We made a total of 8 rings.
They made up their own rules for the game. Eight rings are tossed during your turn. The red rings are worth 2 points, yellow rings are worth 4 points, and the blue rings are worth 8 points. Also, they made a smaller blue ring that is worth 10 points. 
The first to score 30 points is the winner.
They were so excited when they ringed the Gack!
4 points!
(Please pin this image!!)
And make your own
and you just might have the only Gack in town.
Need more activity ideas for Dr. Seuss's birthday? We've got you covered! Click here to see all our previous Dr. Seuss birthday posts! (Over a dozen unique and fun activities!)

Comments